Buildings

FoNC Twin Chapels Ade Taylor

 Updated  20 June 2014

The buildings within the Cemetery walls include: the Protestant Chapel (East Chapel); the Dissenters Chapel (West Chapel); the “Dead House” and a toilet block. 

Built in 1856, and suffering from the ravages of WWII bomb damage and land slippage, the ‘twin’ chapels were in need of much restoration.

In 2010, since with the inception of the Friends of Northwood Cemetery, the East Chapel was restored with the addition of improved lighting, heating and newly laid flooring. All windows were either repaired or replaced and the front (north) elevation was repointed.

However, serious subsidence in the winter of 2014, has forced the Isle of Wight Council to declare the building unsafe and the area in front of the tower is now protected by Heras safety fencing. 

.

Friends House 1The Dead House, which nowadays we prefer to refer to as the “Friends’ House”, was the first restoration project to be attempted by the group. In a very neglected state, this building has had vital repair work carried out on the roof and has since been fitted with a new stained glass window in its north wall and a new secure door. After a workbench, a water and electricity supply was installed and lighting added, the building was decorated internally. It is currently used by the Grounds Preservation team as their base.

The toilet block, which had fallen into disuse in the late 1960s has had new doors fitted and an internal re-vamp.
It is only available for use by ‘Friends’ and associates of the Cemetery.

The much dilapidated West Chapel has been suffering from serious land slippage for many years, but has now been stabilised for the near future. It is hoped that funding will be raised to fully restore it to its former glory and it is our intention to make it available for community use.

 

 

 

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

GALLERY

(Click on Images to Enlarge)