The Development of Northwood Cemetery
Northwood Cemetery was laid out in 1856, making it the Island’s very first municipal cemetery. Ryde Cemetery being laid out in 1841 was actually the first independent burial ground on the Island, not affiliated to a church. This continued until 1860 when Ryde Town Commissioners became a constitutional Burial Board thereby making the Town Council responsible for its running and upkeep and in effect becoming a municipal cemetery also.
Northwood Cemetery was created in 4 acres of woodland on the western side of Shamblers Copse which had been purchased from the Ward Estate and became the first ten plots comprising some 3,936 grave spaces.
The design and planning of the twin Chapels, a Receptacle House, Porter’s Lodge and the general laying out of the Burial Ground was contracted to Messrs Mew & Manning, the plans being displayed in the Town Hall on Market Hill for public viewing and comment. It had been proposed that three quarters of the cemetery would be consecrated by the Church of England.
In January 1856 tenders were published in local newspapers for laying the roads and drainage within the Cemetery as well as the wall, which was to be built around the perimeter.
A bell was to be purchased to hang in the Church of England Chapel and boundary stones were to be positioned to indicate the non Church of England section of the Cemetery. A lodge keeper was appointed and tenders were put out for the planting of trees, ornamental shrubs and flowerbeds at the Cemetery’s entrance.
On the 8th November 1856, the first burial took place. This ‘honour’ was bestowed upon James Cribb, a 32 year old local shoemaker who was interred in Grave 2600 of Plot 7.
By 1872 it was quite clear that more burial spaces would be required for the non Church of England in the town and so, another piece of land on the western side was offered by Mr W G Ward. Within five years, two more acres of land to the south was purchased from the Ward Estate – plus a section of meadow owned by Mr Attrill – to ‘square’ the cemetery off. The west wall was taken down and rebuilt along the new boundary and the north wall was extended to meet it (the wall adjacent to the Cowes Medical Centre today). The additional section adding an additional 13 plots comprising 4,484 grave spaces was levelled, seeded for grass and new shrubs were planted – including 100 rhododendrons.
Twenty-four iron seats were purchased and installed around the Cemetery and, by 1880, an area of outstanding beauty had, no doubt, been created. The Cemetery quickly became a popular venue for walks and even picnics – and at weekends a policeman patrolled the Cemetery to deter flower picking!
With the population of Cowes ever expanding in this most popular of yachting havens more land was purchased from the Ward Estate in 1904, adding 10 more plots, thereby catering for an additional 5,044 grave spaces. The Cemetery now totalled an area of some 12 acres.
In 1933 negotiations with Mr Mullett, of Somerton Farm, were successful in purchasing a further 4 acres to the south, expanding the Cemetery to its current footprint of 17 acres. It is believed that before 1856, the southern half of the cemetery had been used as farmland and, due to this, is poor in flora. However, the northern section had for many years been a part of Shamblers Copse, rich in woodland plants and everything else that they attract. We see evidence today of seeds that have laid dormant in the ground for decades suddenly take life as some of the overgrown and ungainly yew trees are trimmed back, allowing light to once more reach the ground beneath them.
Now covering some seventeen acres, it is the second largest Cemetery on the Island (after Carisbrooke Mount Joy) and the ‘woodland’ atmosphere of the northern part attracts all manner of wildlife – including a wide variety of species of birds and butterflies and, of course, one of our most prized Island possessions – the Red Squirrel.
Barry Sowerby – History & Records